Home' Perth Guide : Perth Guide 13 Contents All events online | scoop.com.au
. . . CHANNEL YOUR INNER TOP GUN?
So you may not look like Tom Cruise circa 1986, but piloting a Boeing 737 will
make you feel pretty damn fly (BYO Ray-Bans). Flight Experience’s range of
simulator packages allows budding aviators of all levels to make believe for
30 to 90 minutes. Present your boarding pass at the check-in counter on arrival
and get a pre-flight briefing from your ‘first officer’. Choose your flight destination
from one of 24,000 airports and head into the cockpit for further instruction.
There you’ll sit in the hot seat and get the rundown on primary controls (aka those
fancy switches and levers). Big screens mimic a view from the top, adding to the
authenticity – don’t be surprised if you forget it’s pretend. Following permission from Air
Traffic Control, you’ll hurtle down the runway. Get ready for take-off, Captain. It’s all yours!
Need to know
• All instructors are experienced pilots and will adapt the flight to your skill level.
Flight Experience is a pilot training centre so it can accommodate beginners
through to professionals.
• Each flight runs one-on-one with an instructor. Up to two passengers can join
you for no extra charge.
• The recommended minimum age is 10. No maximum age applies.
• The simulator is a fixed-base device so it doesn’t move during the flight.
• Visit perth.flightexperience.com.au for more information.
. . . PART Y AT A VODKA DISTILLERY?
When it opened in West Perth earlier this year, Hippocampus Metropolitan Distillery brought
a new dimension to the urban drinking scene. Its homegrown organic vodka is filtered on
site – with the help of a German-made copper still, affectionately known as Kylie – and
distributed to some of Perth’s best bars. Now the owners are throwing open the doors and
letting us peek behind the curtain, with site tours available to see how the smooth spirit is
made. Liquor buffs will love this behind-the-scenes glimpse, but if you want serious novelty
factor, the converted warehouse is also open for functions until 9pm on Sundays to Thursdays.
Not a bad way to pass an evening.
Need to know
• Hippocampus tours are offered by appointment, with flexible hours available.
• Take-home bottles can be purchased on site. Huzzah!
• Functions can be catered with finger food, a variety of spirits and cocktails. Talk to
the team about your party’s needs – they’re an obliging bunch.
• The site can accommodate up to 50 people for a function.
• Visit hippocampusmd.com.au for more details.
Links Archive Perth Guide 12 Perth Guide 14 Navigation Previous Page Next Page